Description[edit | edit source]
The best thing about tofu - besides its nutritional value - is the way it carries other flavors, such as the tanginess of this sesame dressing. Serve this warm salad with crunchy breadsticks and a tall glass of iced jasmine tea.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes For Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Source: Eating Well Diabetes Cookbook
- Formatted by Chupa Babi in MC: 06.26.07
- Active time: 25 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 x 14-ounce package extra-firm, water-packed tofu, rinsed, patted dry and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 2 medium carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 large cucumber, chopped
Directions[edit | edit source]
- Whisk canola oil, vinegar, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger and salt in a bowl.
- Place tofu and 2 tablespoons of the dressing in a large nonstick skillet.
- Cook over medium-high heat, turning every 2 to 3 minutes, until golden brown, 12 to 15 minutes total.
- Remove from the heat, add 1 tablespoon of the dressing to the pan and stir to coat.
- Toss greens, carrots and cucumber with the remaining dressing.
- Serve immediately, topped with the warm tofu.
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Make ahead tip: The dressing (Step 1) will keep, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. Whisk just before using.
- ChupaNote: tossed in a julienned red bell pepper and a thinly sliced red onion as well as a handful of sugar snap beans. Doubled all of the ingredients of the dressing and we used most of it over rice!!!!
Nutritional information[edit | edit source]
- 237 calories | 16 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono) | 0 mg cholesterol | 16 g carbohydrate | 11 g protein | 5 g fiber | 454 mg sodium.
- Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (180% daily value) | Folate (41% dv) | Vitamin C (38% dv) | Calcium (29% dv).
- Carbohydrate servings: 1½
- Exchanges: 3 vegetable | 1 medium-fat meat | 2 fat
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.