Fruit and Vegetable Recipes I by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 14 slices white bread, crusts trimmed
- 4 tablespoons cooked and crumbled bacon
- 8 oz cream cheese (room temperature)
- zest of one lemon, finely grated (grated lemon rind)
- 28 asparagus spears, cooked till tender
- melted butter
- Flatten bread slices by rolling over them with a rolling pin.
- Combine bacon, cr. cheese, and lemon zest.
- Spread an even layer of the cream cheese mixture on each flattened bread slice.
- Place asparagus spears on one slice of bread.
- Rollup each slice like a jellyroll. Cut each roll in half and place seam side down on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
- Preheat broiler. Brush the tops and sides of the rollups with melted butter.
- Broil 6 inches from heat until lightly browned and toasted.
- Serve immediately. (The rollups can be prepared up to this point up to 3 hrs. in advance.)
- Store in refrigerator.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.