Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
This is a beautiful high protein, light spring soup.
- 1 pound asparagus
- 5 cups chicken stock, vegetable stock, or water
- 1 bulb spring (green) garlic, separated into cloves if cloves have formed, peeled and thinly sliced
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 large eggs
- ¼ cup freshly grated pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ cup pasta or rice, cooked, or 4 to 6 slices toasted Italian bread (optional)
- Break off the woody ends of the asparagus stalks and combine them with the stock or water and the garlic in a soup pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer 15 minutes. Using a skimmer, tongs, or a slotted spoon, remove the asparagus stems and discard.
- Season the broth to taste with salt and pepper. Slice the asparagus into 1-inch pieces and add to the broth. Simmer 8 to 12 to minutes. It should be very tender and fragrant, but still bright green and not mushy.
- Just before serving, beat the eggs, cheese, and parsley together in a bowl. Have the soup at a bare simmer. Making sure that the soup isn't boiling, whisk a ladleful into the egg mixture. Stir well and whisk back into the soup. Whisk constantly over very low heat for 3 minutes, then ladle into bowls and serve, with a spoonful of pasta or rice, or a slice of toast in each bowl if desired.
- This soup must be served right away.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.