- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- ¼ lbs + 2 tbsp butter or vegan margarine
- 1⅓ cup fine fresh breadcrumbs
- 8 phyllo pastry sheets
- 1½ lbs trimmed asparagus, washed, chopped and cooked until tender
- ¼ cup finely chopped parsley
Vegan yogurt and herb dressing Edit
- Preheat the oven to 400 °F.
- Sauté the onions in 2 tablespoons of the butter or vegan margarine for 10 minutes, until soft but not browned.
- In another pan, heat 4 tablespoons of the butter or vegan margarine and saute the crumbs until crisp.
- Melt the remaining butter or vegan margarine in a small saucepan.
- Spread one phyllo pastry sheet out on a large board and brush with butter or margarine.
- Put another pastry sheet on top and brush with more butter or margarine.
- Repeat until all sheets have been used.
- Spread the onions evenly on top of the pastry, keeping the edges clear.
- Put the asparagus over the top of the onions and sprinkle with three-quarters of the crumbs and the parsley.
- Fold over 2 inches all around the pastry, then fold the long edges over to make a roll.
- Place the roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet and bend it around into a horseshoe shape.
- Brush with remaining melted butter or margarine and sprinkle with the remaining crumbs.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until golden and crisp.
- Garnish with parsley sprigs, lemon slices and asparagus tips.
- Combine yogurt and herb dressing ingredients, and serve with strudel.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.