Pules and Noodle Mixture Edit
- ½ cup yellow split peas - (daul nakhud)
- cold water
- 1 cup canned kidney beans with liquid
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 cups finely chopped spinach
Meat Sauce Edit
- ½ cup oil
- 1 medium onion; finely chopped
- 750 g ground lamb or beef
- freshly ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ cup tomato purée
- ½ cup water
- 1½ cups drained yogurt
- 3 tsp dried mint; rubbed
- ¼ tsp hot chili pepper (or more)
- ¼ cup finely chopped coriander
- salt to taste
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl, add water and mix to a firm dough, adding more flour if necessary.
- Divide into 2 balls and wrap in plastic.
- Rest for 30 minutes.
- On a floured board roll out each ball of dough very thinly.
- Cut into 5 mm (¼-inch) strips either while it is flat or by rolling up each sheet of dough and slicing with a sharp knife.
- Place noodles on a floured cloth, dust with flour and leave to dry for about 30 minutes.
- Wash split peas well and place in a pan with 1½ cups cold water.
- Bring to the boil and boil gently for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Add red beans and liquid and keep warm.
- In a large pot bring 8 cups water to the boil, add 2 teaspoons salt, oil and noodles.
- Put noodles in gradually, stirring after each addition.
- Return to the boil and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook for further 5 minutes.
- Drain in a colander and return to the pot.
- Add split peas and bean mixture with its liquid, toss ingredients lightly and keep hot over low heat.
- In a frying pan heat the ½ cup oil, fry onion until soft and add ground meat.
- Stir over high heat until juices evaporate and meat browns lightly.
- Add salt and pepper to taste, tomato puree, spices and water, cover and simmer 10 minutes, then remove cover and let moisture evaporate.
- Sauce should be oily.
- Combine chakah ingredients, add to noodles and toss well.
- Mixture should be moist.
- Place noodle mixture in a deep dish and top with keema.
- Stir at the table.
- Serve in deep plates.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.