An Indonesian classic.
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup bonito flakes (available at most Asian markets)
- ½ box cornstarch
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 6 ice cubes
- 6 green onions
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 16 serrano chilis (Indonesians like it hot!)
- 1 liter sake (rice wine)
- In large pot, add bonito flakes to the boiling water.
- Let cook for 4 minutes (no more, no less) on high flame, then remove from heat.
- Remove bonito flakes with slotted spoon.
- Return pot to high flame and let boil for 1 hour to reduce.
- Reduce flame to medium, and add eggs without shells.
- After 1 minute, add one ice cube.
- Wait one minute, and add another ice cube, and continue until ice cubes are gone.
- Remove from heat and add cornstarch.
- In separate pan, heat 1 cup vegetable oil, and add sliced green onions, carrots, and sliced chilis.
- Saute for 16 minutes.
- Combine this mixture with the broth and heat on medium flame for 16 minutes.
- Heat ⅛ of sake at a time in microwave on med-high heat for 1 minute.
- Drink sake with trisole and make a wish to good health! goes well with Indonesian bean cakes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.