- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 350 g (12 oz) chuck steak, finely diced
- 450 g (1 lb) potatoes - peeled and finely diced
- 3 onions - peeled and finely chopped
- 4 leeks - cut into thin rings
- 450 g (1 lb) carrots - peeled and cut into thin strips
- 1 small cabbage - finely shredded
- 1 small cauliflower - cut into small florets
- 2 beef stock cubes
- 2.25 litres (4 pints) boiling water
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, add the meat, toss gently in the hot butter and remove from the pan.
- Place all the prepared vegetables into the pan juices and stir over a gentle heat to coat with the butter.
- Return the meat to the pot.
- Dissolve the stock cubes in the water and pour over the meat and vegetables.
- Add the salt and pepper and simmer gently over a low heat for approx. 1 hour.
- Remove the soup from the heat if not needed immediately.
- To serve, bring to a boil and check the seasoning.
- The soup may be liquidised, then reheated for a smoother texture, if preferred.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.