Avanti bread is a cross between Italian bread and sweet bread made by hand so it can't be found anywhere else. This bread is soooo good!!
- ¾ cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 egg beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Mix oil, eggs, salt and sugar together till blended.
- Add flour one cup at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Knead till smooth and elastic.
- Let rise till doubled, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Repeat the kneading and rising.
- Punch down.
- Cut dough into 2 pieces.
- Let rise, covered for 10 minutes.
- Shape into 2 oblong loaves, about 14 inches long.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Cover: let rise again, about 50 – 60 minutes.
- Cut slash down middle of bread or 3 slashes diagonally on top.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.