This creamy sauce has a lemony taste that works wonderfully with most vegetable dishes - casserole and steamed - and is a favorite with stuffed cabbage. Use it to give a special touch to leftovers containing ground meat, rice, or vegetables where the lemon taste will blend.
- 2 – 3 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon of water
- juice of 2 – 3 lemons
- broth from the dish being cooked (or hot beef or chicken broth or stock)
- Beat the egg whites until foamy.
- Beat in egg yolks, water, lemon juice, and 2-3 ladlesful of broth, beating (or whisking) continuously.
- Add the avgolemono sauce to the dish being cooked, stir, cover with a towel for 10 minutes, and serve.
Alternate Preparation Edit
- Use boiling meat or chicken stock if you want to prepare it for a dish that doesn't have its own liquid, like leftovers.
- Remember to add the liquid very slowly, beating or whisking continuously, so it mixes smoothly.