Measurements in brackets are for a larger recipe
- 1 cup (2 cups) finely chopped onion
- ½ cup (2 cups) finely diced celery
- ½ cup (1⅓ cups) chopped leek (white only)
- 1 clove (1 tbsp) garlic, chopped finely
- 3 tbsp (6 oz) unsalted butter
- 3 tbsp (1½ cups) flour
- 6 cups (1½ gallons) chicken broth, divided
- 3 (12) California avocados
- 2 tbsp (½ cup) chopped cilantro
- 3 tbsp (¾ cup or to taste) fresh lime juice
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- crème fraîche or sour cream as needed for garnish
- roasted pimento or red bell pepper, julienned, as needed for garnish
- Saute onion, celery, leek and garlic until wilted, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in flour until smooth; cook over low heat, stirring constantly, 3 minutes.
- Whisk in broth; simmer until vegetables are very soft, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, puree avocado with some broth in a food processor or blender.
- When vegetables are done, stir in avocado; simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in lime juice, cilantro, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide soup among warmed soup bowls.
- Garnish each with a dollop of crème fraîche and a few strips of pimento.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.