This dessert, a cross between cake and sweet bread, is often baked for Easter.
- Makes two (10 inch) cakes and about 1¼ cups icing.
- 3 pk (¼ oz) active dry yeast (3 tbsp)
- ¾ cup warm water (110°F)
- 1 cup sugar
- 7¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1¼ cups unsalted butter or margarine
- 6 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2 egg whites
- Grease side and bottom of 2 (10 inch) tube pans.
- In a shallow, medium bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add 1 tbsp sugar and ½ cup flour; stir to combine.
- Cover; let stand in a warm place 5 to 10 minutes until foamy.
- Heat milk and butter or margarine in a small saucepan until melted.
- Let stand until mixture cools to warm.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs, egg yolks and remaining 1 cup sugar until pale and frothy.
- Add cooled milk mixture, salt and yeast mixture.
- Beat until smooth.
- Gradually beat in 4½ cups flour.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn out dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Knead dough into a soft, smooth dough.
- Divide dough in ½.
- Arrange 1 part dough in each greased pan.
- Cover with a damp cloth; let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly beat 2 egg whites in a small bowl until foamy.
- Brush beaten egg whites on top of dough.
- Evenly sprinkle topping over dough.
- Bake 50 to 55 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in pans 3 to 4 minutes on racks.
- Turn out of pans; cool completely on racks.
- Frost with powdered sugar icing if desired.
- In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour, and cinnamon.
- Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- powdered sugar icing: 2 egg whites 1½ cups sifted powdered sugar ½ tsp lemon juice.
- In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until frothy.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, beating constantly.
- Beat 10 minutes or until glossy.
- Add lemon juice; beat 2 minutes or until icing stands up in soft peaks.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.