- 1 lb codfish fillets
- 1/2 cup beer (optional), otherwise use water
- 2/3 cup wheat flour
- 1 large egg at room temperature
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 teaspoonful chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoonful ground garlic
- Unless you are using fresh, unsalted codfish, it is advisable to boil the codfish fillets in water, drain and repeat to remove the excess salt.
- Shred the fillets into bits with a fork.
- Blend all ingredients together.
- Use a deep skillet, half-full of cooking oil. Preheat the oil on medium high heat. Use a ladle to pour the mix slowly into the hot oil. Alter the amounts of mix as needed to produce the right size for your preference.
- Remove from the skillet when it appears cooked throughout and the edges begin to curl. Roadside stands hang the fried bacalaitos right over the skillet to let excess oil drip back into the skillet. At home you can also lay each fritter on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Eat while still quite warm. Be ready with more mix. They taste delicious and will have your guests asking for second helpings.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.