- 8-10 slices bacon, crispy cooked and crumbled
- 3-4 Roma (plum) tomatoes, seeded and chopped (about 1 1/3 cup)
- 1 cup chopped leafy green lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Approximately 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 package (16-oz.) twin French bread loaves, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- In medium bowl, stir together all topping ingredients; set aside.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of bread slices; place on baking sheet.
- Bake at 400 degrees F., turning once, for 7 minutes per side or until crisp and golden brown; cool.
- Spoon about 1 tablespoon topping on each toast round.
- Serve topping in a small bowl, surrounded by the toast rounds.
- Prepare and refrigerate topping ingredients and bake toast rounds ahead of time. For best flavor, stir together topping ingredients just before serving.
- Pork Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.