This fresh chowder is made with real bacon and potatoes and cooked to smooth, milky perfection to help grow hot and savory. You can also top this with the chili oil and parsley for light zest.
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 cup onion, minced, yellow only
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups potatoes, diced
- 3 cups water
- 3 chicken bouillon cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 (354 ml.) can evaporated milk
- chili oil, optional
- parsley, optional
- Fry bacon until crisp and chop. Drain and use paper towel to soak up excess fat.
- In a large pot, sauté onion and garlic with 2 tbsp. bacon drippings.
- Add potatoes, water, and bouillon cubes to a pot.
- Heat to boiling, then cover and simmer until potatoes are cooked, and add bacon.
- Mix flour with a small amount of evaporated milk, making a paste.
- Gradually mix up with the remaining milk. Add to the potato mixture.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Stir often to ensure the soup does not burn on the bottom of the pot.
- Serve hot with other dishes. Drizzle with the chili oil and garnish with the parsley, if desired.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.