Serves/Makes:4 – 6
- 6 cups (1425 ml) chicken stock
- ¼ cup (60 ml) whole allspice, tied in cheesecloth
- ½ tsp (2 ml) crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cloves peeled garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 cup (225 ml) finely diced onion
- 1 cup (225 ml) finely diced celery
- 1 cup (225 ml) finely diced carrot
- 2 cups (475 ml) peeled finely diced potatoes
- ¾ lb (.3 kg) skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut in 1" squares ¼" thick
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced fresh mint
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) minced fresh cilantro
- In 4 qt. saucepan, bring chicken stock, allspice and pepper flakes to boil.
- Cover, simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Add garlic, onion, celery, carrots and potatoes and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook for 3 – 4 minutes, uncovered or till chicken is cooked.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Discard allspice tied in cheesecloth.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add lime juice, mint and cilantro.
- Serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.