A traditional Honduran recipe.
- 1 onion
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 x 15-oz cans black beans, drained
- 2 cups stock
- 1½ tsp oregano
- 1 yellow chile, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 x 15-oz can whole tomatoes with liquid or 18-oz can sauce
- ½ lime, squeezed for juice
- ¼ cup sherry
- fresh cilantro
- onion; bell pepper and garlic in oil until onion is translucent.
- Add beans, stock and oregano.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Seed and chop yellow and jalapeño chiles and put into blender.
- Add lime juice and tomato.
- Puree to finely mince the chiles.
- Add black bean mixture to blender (in batches) and puree.
- When everything is pureed, return it to the soup pot.
- Simmer at least 1.5 hours.
- Add wine and fresh cilantro to taste.
- Garnishes: rice, grated cheeses, diced onion, salsa, sour cream, plain yogurt, grilled sausages.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.