- 1 tablespoon of oil
- ¾ teaspoon each fennel (saunf) and onion seed (kalonji)
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- ¾ teaspoon of coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of ginger-garlic paste
- 4 large or 5 medium tomatoes, puréed
- salt and green chillies to taste
- 400 grams small brinjals, sliced, salted, drained and fried
- Put the oil in a microwave-safe dish.
- Microwave at 100% power for 2 minutes.
- Drop in the seeds.
- Continue to microwave at the same level for one minute.
- Add the spices and ginger-garlic paste.
- Stir and cook for another 3 minutes (or 2 minutes at microwave 70% + convection 200 °C).
- Pour in the tomato purée.
- Cover with a paper napkin.
- Cook at 100% power for 8 minutes, stirring twice, till the oil starts to separate at the edges.
- Fold in the fried brinjals and a few tablespoons of water to make a thick, clinging gravy.
- Cover and microwave at and 50% power for 3 minutes.
- Let it stand for 3-4 minutes before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.