- 2½ cups grated coconut
- ½ cup melted butter or margarine
- 4 cups self raising flour
- 1 tbsp shortening
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ cup Sugar
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 egg - beaten
- 1¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tsp almond essence
- 1 - 1½ teaspoon spoon mixed spices ( optional)
- 1 small / medium freshly grated nutmeg or 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg( optional)
- Grease loaf pans with shortening and pre-heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix with your hands to blend the flour, baking powder,salt,coconut, Sugar and the raisins together in a bowl.
- Then use a mixture adding in the egg, evaporated milk, margarine and almond essence, mixed spices and nutmeg and mix together well until you have a firm dough.
- Divide dough in half and fill loaf pans.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of Sugar and 1 tablespoon of hot water and brush mixture over the loaves.
- Bake in center of oven for about 1 hour or until skewer inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pans before removing and serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.