- 1 tbsp shortening for greasing pan
- 175 grams brown sugar
- 50 grams shortening
- 50 grams Grace Hello soft margarine
- 250 grams counter flour
- pinch of salt
- 225 grams grated coconut
- 50 grams raisins
- 50 grams cherries
- 1 tbsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tbsp almond essence
- 300 millilitres Grace evaporated milk
- 50 millilitres water
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Lightly grease 28 cm x 11.
- Loaf tins using shortening.
- Heat oven to 180°C (350°F).
- Cream sugar, shortening and margarine together in a bowl.
- Add flour, salt, grated coconut, cut raisins and cherries, add nutmeg and mix well.
- Add almond essence, grace evaporated milk and enough water so that when mixed, a firm dough is formed.
- Divide the dough into two and fill loaf tins.
- Using a knife, cut a diagonal criss-cross pattern on the top of each loaf and sprinkle sugar over the top (sugar water may be brushed on instead of crystals).
- Bake in the center of the oven for about 1 hour until a skewer inserted into the center of the loaves comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tins, then turn out and serve sliced.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.