- 1 lbs fresh chestnuts or 1½ cups canned or bottled chestnuts or 4 oz dried chestnuts, cooked
- ⅓ cup soy milk
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- 5 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ⅓ cup raisins or currants
- 6 sweet apples
- few tbsp lemon juice
- additional cinnamon
- ¾ cup white wine
- 3 tbsp margarine
- 1 cinnamon stick
- mint leaves
- thin orange slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- To prepare fresh chestnuts, cook covered, in water, for 20 minutes till expanded and lighter in colour.
- To prepare canned chestnuts, cook in their liquid till heated through.
- To prepare dried chestnuts, cook according to package directions.
- Drain and rinse hot chestnuts under cold water.
- Cut off flat part with a sharp knife and scoop nut meat with a spoon.
- In a food processor, combine chestnut meat with soy milk, juice, 4 tbsp maple syrup, 1 tsp cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Fold in raisins or currants.
- Peel apples and remove core from top, leaving the bottom intact.
- Hollow out the apple leaving a ½" shell.
- Brush shell with lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Sprinkle inside with a little cinnamon.
- Chop scooped out apple and mix with the chestnut puree.
- Fill apple shells with chestnut-apple stuffing.
- Place in a grease proof dish and pour wine and remaining syrup around the base of the apples.
- Add margarine and cinnamon stick to the pan.
- Bake 30 to 40 minutes, basting occasionally with the wine mixture.
- Garnish and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.