This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Scranton Estate in Fate, Texas in 1991.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 cups fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 6 slices bacon cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 pounds bone in chicken pieces
- ¾ teaspoon salt divided
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 onion cut into ⅓-inch slices
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Spread tomatoes on bottom of rectangular baking dish.
- Cook bacon in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat for 8 minutes turning once.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain.
- Reserve skillet and drippings.
- Season chicken pieces with ½ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Cook in another large skillet over high heat 5 minutes turning as needed to brown evenly.
- Arrange chicken over tomatoes.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook onion slices in reserved bacon drippings 8 minutes.
- Transfer to brown paper bag with slotted spoon.
- Add remaining salt then shake to degrease onions and mix with salt.
- Transfer chicken and tomatoes to serving plate then sprinkle with bacon and onions.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.