This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Baxter Estate in Heath, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 1 pound fresh okra
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper cut in thin strips
- 1 green bell pepper cut in thin strips
- 2 white onions chopped finely
- 3 tomatoes sliced in rounds
- ½ bunch flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Wash okra and dry well.
- Trim off the end of the stems being careful not to cut into the pod.
- Put okra in a large flat dish and sprinkle vinegar with generous amount of salt.
- Make sure both sides are coated well.
- Allow to marinate at least 30 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a skillet and cook onions until golden brown.
- Rinse okra well then place them in rows in an oven dish and sprinkle with onions.
- Put tomato slices on okra and then crisscross pepper strips on tomatoes.
- Scatter the parsley over.
- Season with plenty of black pepper and pepper flakes.
- Pour the rest of the olive oil evenly and water.
- Bake at 375°F for almost an hour.
- Allow to cool in its own juice and serve barely warm.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.