Seafood Recipes by the South Carolina Department of Agriculture, public domain government resource—original source of recipe
- 1 shad fillet
- 1 tbsp butter
- ½ fresh lemon
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup fish stock, white wine or water
- 1 tsp capers
- pinch of fresh dill
- Lightly season shad fillet.
- Place in moderately hot non-reactive skillet with touch of butter.
- Transfer to 375°F oven. Bake about 3 minutes until shad is halfway done.
- Glaze lightly with Dijon mustard.
- Squeeze lemon over the shad. Add splash of white wine, fish stock or water(about 1 fl. oz).
- Continue to bake 2 – 3 minutes until shad is almost cooked.
- Carefully remove the shad to the plate.
- Swirl 1 tsp butter into pan juices, then add capers and fresh dill.
- Spoon butter sauce over the shad.
- Serve with your favorite green vegetable, such as broccoli or green beans and mashed potatoes.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.