From my Aunt Maggie's collection. She had a notation that this is a choir supper favorite. Notation on card says "always take recipe, you won't get by without giving it out a dozen times". Dated 1938.
- Contributed by Cat's Recipes Y-Group
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 can whole tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large redfish
- ⅓ cup chopped parsley
- lemon slices
- ¾ can plain bread crumbs
- 1 small can crab meat
- 1 cup cooked chopped shrimp
- 2 green onions chopped
- salt and red pepper to taste
- Make a roux with a large spoon of margarine and a half of a cup of flour; when brown add garlic, bell pepper and onions; cook a few minutes.
- Add tomato paste and tomatoes and enough water to make a medium thick gravy.
- Season well.
- Cook about 1 hour adding more water when needed.
- Wash and dry the fish.
- Season inside and out with salt and pepper.
- Stuff the fish.
- Mix and add enough milk to hold stuffing together.
- Piece fish in roasting pan.
- Pour on tomato gravy and bake uncovered in 325 °Ff oven for about 45 minutes.
- Baste fish often.
- When almost cooked add parsley and lemon slices to the top of the fish.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.