- 400 ml (14 fl oz) melted butter
- 1 kg (2 lb 4 oz) thin sheet filo pastry
- 300 g (10 oz) chopped pistachios
- 225 g (8 oz) sugar
- 200 g (7 oz) sugar
- 150 ml (5 fl oz) water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- First make the syrup by dissolving sugar in water.
- Stir over medium heat until sugar dissolves, then add lemon juice, rosewater, cardamom and stir.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 5minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Make the filling by combining the pistachios, cardamom and sugar.
- Set aside.
- Grease a baking tray about 33x27x5cm (13x10x2inches) deep with the melted butter.
- Spread one filo sheet in the tray, and brush generously with butter.
- Repeat this method by stacking 10 filo sheets.
- Spread the filling onto the filo sheets.
- Spread and butter 15 filo sheets individually on top of the layer of filling, to make the top and final layer.
- Cut into diamond shapes before baking.
- Pour remaining melted butter on top.
- Bake in oven at 200°C (400°F) gas mark 6 for 20 – 30 minutes or until the surface turns to light golden brown.
- Remove baklava from oven and pour the cool syrup on top.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.