- ½ lb walnuts, finely chopped
- 2½ tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground cloves
- 1 lb phyllo dough
- ¾ lb unsalted butter, melted
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Mix first four ingredients together for filling.
- Combine syrup ingredients and cook until sugar dissolves and mixture turns syrupy.
- Set aside to cool. Remove cinnamon stick before using.
- Unfold phyllo.
- Using a sharp knife, carefully cut phyllo sheets crosswise, into thirds.
- Cover phyllo not being used with a barely damp towel.
- Using two pieces of phyllo - phyllo sheets are so thin they must be doubled - and keeping narrow ends towards you, brush with butter.
- Place 1 to 1½ teaspoons filling ¼ inch from end nearest you, to within ¼ inch of sides. Fold long sides in ¼ inch. Fold over bottom to cover filling.
- Place a clean pencil on top of fold and roll into a cigar-like cylinder.
- Push both ends toward center and remove pencil.
- Place roll on cookie sheet and generously brush with butter. Repeat with remaining filling and phyllo.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Dip hot rolls into cooled syrup - kitchen tongs work well for this.
- Place onto a platter to cool. Cover and refrigerate.
- Can be frozen.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.