The universal Middle-Eastern dessert
- 1½ lbs chopped walnuts
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 lb melted sweet butter
- 2 lbs thin sheet fillo, or shredded fillo dough
- 1 cup honey
- To make the stuffing, combine and mix walnuts, sugar and cardamom.
- Set aside.
- Brush a baking dish measuring about 9x13x2 inch with some of the melted butter.
- Spread one fillo sheet flat in the pan, brush with about 1 teaspoon butter.
- Stack about 15 fillo sheets using this method.
- Spread one half of the stuffing mixture on the fillo sheets.
- Spread and butter about five fillo sheets on top of the first layer of stuffing.
- Spread the remaining half of the stuffing on top.
- Spread and butter about 15 fillo sheets to make the top and final layer.
- Use more butter if you run out, or use less for each fillo layer.
- With a sharp knife, cut in diamond, or square shapes.
- Pour remaining melted butter on top.
- Bake in 350°F oven for about 30 minutes, or until the surface turns light golden color.
- Pour honey over baklawa.
- When at room temperature, transfer individual pieces onto a serving dish.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.