Makes about 2 cups.
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- ⅔ cup sugar
- ¾ tbsp grated peeled fresh gingerroot
- 2 fresh rhubarb stalks; leaves discarded, ends trimmed, and stalks cut crosswise into ¼-inch-thick slices, or 2 cups frozen sliced rhubarb,thawed, reserving liquid
- In a saucepan simmer vinegar with sugar and gingerroot, stirring, until sugar is dissolved and stir in rhubarb (with reserved liquid if using frozen).
- If using fresh rhubarb, simmer until crisp-tender, about 1 minute, and transfer with a slotted spoon to a bowl.
- If using frozen, as soon as mixture returns to a simmer transfer rhubarb with slotted spoon to bowl.
- Simmer liquid until thickened slightly, about 5 minutes, and remove pan from heat.
- Stir in rhubarb.
- Serve compote warm or at room temperature.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.