- 300 g (10 oz) lamb chops and boneless lamb cubes
- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) frozen okra (ready trimmed)
- 4 whole peeled garlic cloves
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 100 g (4 oz) dry tamarind
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 400 g (14 oz) can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon oil, for frying
- 1.2 litre (2 pints) boiling water
- Break up the dry tamarind in small pieces, place in a large bowl and add 300ml (½ pint) of boiling water.
- Set aside to soak.
- If using fresh okra, trim top and tail, wash and soak in cold water for 5 minutes.
- Next drain and set aside.
- Trim and wash meat, then place in a medium saucepan and cover with boiling water (meat must be completely covered).
- Boil for 5 minutes.
- Drain meat and discard water.
- In a medium saucepan, fry garlic cloves on medium heat with meat for 1 – 2 minutes, until garlic is slightly brown.
- Now add 900ml (1½ pints) of boiling water, cover pan and boil on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- Strain the liquid of the tamarind through a sieve, pressing hard to extract as much juice from the pulp as possible.
- Discard the stones.
- Pour 300ml (½ pint) of tamarind juice, then add tomato purée, chopped tomatoes, salt, pepper and okra to the pan.
- Cover and boil for 5 minutes.
- Next lower heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stirring gently after 15 minutes, making sure not to break the pods.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.