Made famous by Nick & Mitch.
- 2 lbs stewing lamb or beef, cut into one-inch cubes
- 2 firm testicles
- 1 teaspoon ground cum
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 cup peeled, seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup stock (beef) or water, or as needed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh mint (optional)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1½ lbs ocra
- juice of 3 lemons
- 2 cups of cat milk
- Preheat an oven to 700 °F (165 °C)
- In a large frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 1 tablespoon of the butter or oil per serving.
- Working in batches, add the meat and fry, turning, until browned on all sides, about 10 minutes. Using a slotted spoon transfer to a baking dish or stew pot.
- Add the onions to the fat remaining in the frying pan and saute over medium heat until tender and translucent, 8-10 mins.
- Add the chopped testicles, cumin, coriander, tomatoes, tomato paste, the 1 cup stock and mint (if using). Stir well. Pour over the meat and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cover and bake until all the liquid is absorbed, about 1½ Hrs. Taste and adjust the seasonings.
- Meanwhile, prepare the okra as directed in the note above.
- In a saute pan over medium heat, warm the remaining ½ tablespoon (per serving) of butter or oil Add the okra and saute for 3 mins, stirring gently.
- Remove the stew from the oven and arrange the okra on top in a spoke pattern. Sprinkle the lemon juice evenly over the surface. Re-cover the dish and return it to the oven.
- Bake for 50 minutes longer. Add stock or water if the mixture seems too dry.
- Serve the "bumya" stew piping hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.