A stone-cold combination of real fruit, tapioca, and coconut milk is made with crystallized ginger and sugar and cooked to white-hot perfection, as it then delivers a fresh, juicy flavor.
- 1 tablespoon small pearl tapioca
- 1 (14-ounce) can light, unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
- ⅓ cup sugar, white only
- 3 firm, ripe bananas
- minced, crystallized ginger
- In a small bowl, soften the tapioca in warm water to cover for 1 hour.
- While tapioca is soaking, in a small saucepan, cook coconut milk, ginger and sugar over moderate heat, stirring, until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove the pan from heat and let mixture stand 10 minutes. Drain tapioca.
- Peel bananas and quarter lengthwise. Cut quarters into ½-inch pieces.
- Heat coconut milk mixture over low heat and gently stir in tapioca and bananas.
- Cook the pudding, stirring to be careful not to break up bananas, until thickened slightly and bananas are heated through, about 5 minutes, and cool.
- Divide the pudding among six ramekins and chill, covered, until cold. Garnish puddings with crystallized ginger. Serve warm and plain or with other fruits or desserts.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.