- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer beat the yolks and they are thick and pale.
- Gradually add the sugar, beating until the mixture is very thick.
- Beat in the lemon juice and the rind, add the bananas, the matzah cake meal, the almonds and the salt and beat the mixture until it is combined well.
- In a clean dry bowl, with clean dry beater beat the whites until they just hold stiff peaks, stir 1 cup of them into the banana mixture and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
- Pour the batter into an ungreased 9" tube pan (3 ½" deep) with a removable bottom and bake the torte in the middle of a preheated 350 °F oven for 55–60 minutes, or until a tester comes out clean.
- Invert the pan over the neck of a bottle and let the torte cool upside down.
- Run a thin knife around the edge and tube of the pan and remove the side of the pan.
- Run the knife under the bottom of the torte to release it and transfer the torte carefully with 2 spatulas to a serving plate.