This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Pryor Estate in Grapevine, Texas in 1996.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup solid vegetable shortening
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
- ½ cup butter softened
- 1 cup dark brown sugar packed
- ⅓ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 16 ounce box confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups finely chopped black walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour 2 cake pans.
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and baking soda then set aside.
- Using an electric mixer cream together shortening and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs 1 at a time mixing well after each addition.
- Mix in mashed bananas, buttermilk and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Stir in black walnuts then pour into prepared pans and bake 35 minutes.
- Cool in pans on a cooling rack for 10 minutes then remove from pans and cool.
- Melt butter in small saucepan then add brown sugar and cream.
- Cook over medium low heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add vanilla then transfer to a large bowl.
- Using an electric mixer beat in confectioners' sugar a little at a time until smooth.
- Sandwich 2 layers of cake with frosting then frost the outside.
- Press chopped black walnuts over top and down sides of cake.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.