- 1½ pkg active dry yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 4¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp salt
- ½ cup yogurt
- 1 lightly beaten egg
- 5 tbsp melted ghee (or clarified butter)
- 2 tbsp poppy or sesame seeds
- Put yeast, sugar and 5 tbsp water in small bowl. Stir.
- Let stand about 5 minutes until foamy.
- Sift flour and salt into large bowl.
- Make a well in center.
- Add egg and yogurt to yeast mixture.
- Add 5 tbsp warm water.
- Stir and pour into the well in the flour.
- Stir from center until mixed to a smooth batter.
- Stir in ghee.
- Knead on board 15 – 20 minutes or about 2 minutes in food processor.
- Dough should be elastic but not sticky.
- Put in covered bowl and allow to rise until double (about one hour).
- Divide ball into eight pieces.
- Knead each lightly, flatten ball, pull into an oval forming a sort of pear shape.
- Put on baking sheet(s), cover with damp cloth, allow to rise about 15 minutes.
- Brush with ghee and sprinkle with seeds (optional).
- Bake in pre-heated 450°F oven for 8 – 10 minutes until golden brown.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.