- 1 kg flour
- 1 kg spinach
- 300 g white brined cheese
- ¾ cupful of yoghurt
- 200g butter
- 1 spoonful sunflower oil
- 1 spoonful vinegar
- Cook the cleaned and finely cut spinach in some of the butter.
- After having cooled, stir in crumbled cheese and yoghurt.
- Knead a hard dough from the flour, oil, vinegar, salt and water.
- Roll into five sheets (1 kg of ready rolled pastry sheets may also be used).
- Line a baking dish with butter, place 1 sheet on the bottom and top with the spinach filling.
- Add a second sheet, filling and so on.
- Baste in a moderate oven.
- The same recipe may be used for making banitsa with leeks.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.