Baked cheese pastry
- 10 – 12 sheets filo pastry
- 500 g white cheese
- ½ pack butter (melted)
- 3 – 4 eggs
- 250 ml soda water
- pinch of salt
- Oil a medium size deep oven dish, cover bottom with a sheet of filo pastry, sprinkle melted butter, sprinkle crumbled white cheese, and continue layering filo pastry with butter and cheese.
- Finish with a layer of filo pastry and butter.
- In a separate dish beat the eggs, add salt, and soda water.
- Pour slowly over the dish with the banitza and let it soak in.
- Cook in a preheated oven (180 – 200°C) for about 40 minutes or until the banitza has risen slightly and has nicely browned on top.
- Leave to cool for about 30 minutes and serve.
- I like it with Greek yoghurt on the side.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.