Enchillada's filled with chicken and a creamy white sauce, topped with avocado salad. This recipe serves 4, but is easily expandable.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into large dice of ½"
- 1 cup chopped yellow or brown onion
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 1 cup real or imitation sour cream
- 1 x 7 ounce can diced mild green chiles
- 1 cup canned enchilada sauce
- 8 x 6" flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup cubed California avocadoes
- ½ cup sliced black olives
- ¼ cup or more to taste, chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Spray a large lasagna type casserole dish with no-stick spray.
- Coat bottom of casserole with ⅓ of the enchilada sauce, set aside.
- Heat a non-stick skillet, add cubed chicken cooking 3 to 5 minutes over medium -high heat until lightly browned.
- Add chopped onion, oregano and black pepper, and continue cooking an additional 3 to 5 minutes till the chicken is no longer pink and is lightly browned, and the onion is translucent.
- Remove from heat, and cool in skillet for 5 minutes.
- Stir in canned mild green chiles, sour cream and Monterey jack cheese.
- Evenly divide chicken mixture down center of each flour tortilla, roll up and place seam side down into prepared pan atop the enchilada sauce.
- Spoon the remaining ⅔ cup enchilada sauce evenly over the rolled up tortillas.
- Cover baking dish tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake at 350 degrees, for 30 minutes, or until thoroughly heated.
- While this is in the oven, toss together in a large bowl, the shredded lettuce, chopped fresh tomatoes, cubed avocado, sliced and cilantro.
- Remove from oven and remove aluminum foil.
- Top with sharp cheddar cheese and return to the oven, uncovered, for about 4 or 5 minutes.
- Remove from the oven one more time, and top the entire casserole with the lettuce mixture, spreading it evenly over the entire surface.
- Return the casserole to the oven for just 2 to 3 minutes more to wilt the lettuce and lightly warm the tomatoes, avocados and .
- Serve with Mexican style rice, and lots of crunchy tortilla chips.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.