- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 1 lbs chicken sausage
- 4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- ½ cup barley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ lbs mushroom
- 1 cup fresh kale
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and meat, cook until well browned.
- Add broth, barley, thyme and salt; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer about one hour or until barley and meat are almost tender.
- Add mushrooms and kale or other greens.
- Cover and cook 5–10 minutes more, until kale is cooked and meat and barley are tender.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.