- 14 oz dried black beans
- 2 qt water
- ⅛ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ground oregano
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 green pepper, quartered
- ½ onion, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp minced garlic
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- ¼ cup sherry wine
- salt, to taste
- Rinse beans and discard any stones.
- In a large pot, soak beans overnight in water with baking soda, oregano, cumin and green pepper.
- The next day, add onion, garlic, olive oil, cider vinegar, sherry and salt to the water and cook on medium-low heat for about 3 hours or until the beans are very tender and liquid is reduced and somewhat thickened.
- Make sure liquid in pot does not entirely boil away.
- To prevent beans from burning, add more water when necessary.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.