- 1 1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice or other long grain rice
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 small Onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 jalapeño or serrano chilies minced
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 pinch white pepper
- 3 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth, or water
- 1/4 cup dried apricots diced
- 1/4 cup toasted walnuts coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup toasted cashew halves
- 1/4 cup pitted prunes chopped
- 2 tablespoons green onion chopped
- 2 tablespoons toasted coconut
- 1/4 cup plum sauce
- Soak the rice in water to cover for 30 minutes; drain.
- Heat a 3 quart pan over medium high heat until hot
- Add the oil and the Onion.
- Cook, stirring until the Onion is lightly browned, about 1 minute.
- Add the ginger, garlic, chilies, garam masala, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 seconds.
- Add the rice and cook, stirring, until the mixture is well coated with the oil, about 1 minute.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Cook, uncovered, over medium high heat until the liquid drops to the level of the rice.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer on low until the rice is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Remove the rice to a serving platter.
- Sprinkle the apricots, nuts, prunes, green onion and coconut over the rice.
- Serve with the plum sauce on the side.
Contributed by Edit
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.