- 2 cups basmati rice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 small onions thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 8 whole cloves
- 6 whole cardamom pods
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups frozen Peas
- 1/4 cup chopped almonds
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- 1/4 cup Raisins
- Rinse rice under cold running water.
- Place rice in large bowl.
- Add enough water to cover by 3 inches.
- Let stand 20 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add onions
- Sauté, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add cumin, peppercorns, cloves, cardamom, bay leaves and cinnamon
- Sauté, until onions are brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add rice to spices and stir 2 minutes.
- Add 4 cups water, cream, salt and saffron.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Cover saucepan almost completely and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
- Add Peas to rice.
- Cover and simmer until rice is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with nuts and Raisins.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.