This recipe came from an estate sale. I obtained it when I purchased the family collection from the Baxter Estate in Heath, Texas in 1984.
- Contributed by Catsrecipes Y-Group
- 2 cups fine bulgur
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper paste
- ½ cup olive oil
- ½ bunch green onions finely chopped
- 1 small onion cut in thin half rounds
- 1 bunch flat leaf parsley finely chopped
- 1 cucumber finely chopped
- 2 banana peppers finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate syrup
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mint flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- romaine lettuce leaves
- Put tomato and pepper paste in a big bowl and melt them with boiling hot water.
- Add bulgur and 1 teaspoon salt into this mix and stir once.
- Cover with a thick kitchen towel and let it soak up the water for 10 minutes.
- Cut onion in half first then into very thin half moon shapes.
- In a little bowl knead onion with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Rinse salt and squeeze excessive water.
- Fluff bulgur with a fork.
- Add pepper flakes, ground pepper, cumin, mint flakes, oil, pomegranate syrup, lemon juice and kneaded onion.
- Mix well.
- At this point taste to see if it needs more lemon juice.
- Add banana peppers, spring onions, cucumber and parsley then mix well.
- Serve over lettuce leaves and place slices of tomato over top and serve immediately.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.