Bayagyaw (Spiced Yellow-Pea Fritters) can be served either as an appetizer or snack. It’s a great complement to tea or coffee.
- 1 cup yellow split peas, dried
- 1 medium-size onion, sliced
- ¼ cup coriander, chopped
- 2 small green chile, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon toasted chickpea flour
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric (yellow powder)
- ¼ cup water
- oil for deep-frying
- Put the split peas in a large bowl filled with cold water and let the peas soak overnight.
- Drain the peas and reduce to a coarse consistency using a food processor.
- Add ¼ cup water to the processed peas.
- Next, put in the onion, coriander, chile, cumin seeds, salt, chickpea flour and turmeric.
- Mix well.
- Heat oil in a frying pan or wok.
- Next, using a teaspoon, scoop up the pea mixture and form balls roughly the size of a golf ball.
- Slightly flatten the balls (½-inch thick) and deep-fry for 2 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drain the fritters on absorbent paper.
- Serve hot.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.