- Serves 4 to 6
- 1 x 15-ounce (225 g) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried yellow split peas
- ½ cup (125 ml) dried mung beans 
- 4 cup (1 l) water
- ½ cup (125 ml) short-grain rice
- ½ lb (225 g) ground beef or lamb
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp (1 ml) ground cinnamon
- salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 3 tbsp (45 ml) vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large ripe tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) chopped fresh dill
- 1 cup (250 ml) yogurt
- Combine the beans and half the water in a pot over moderate heat and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered for 30 minutes.
- Stir in the rice and cook an additional 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together the ground meat, cayenne, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Roll the mixture into small ½-inch (1 cm) balls.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat and saute the onion until it is lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add the meatballs and brown on all sides.
- Stir in the remaining water and tomatoes and simmer covered for 30 minutes.
- Add the meatball mixture to the bean mixture.
- Stir in the dill and yogurt and heat until almost boiling.
- Serve immediately.
- ↑ Available in health food stores and Asian specialty shops.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.