- vegetable oil, for frying
- 4 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- 2 pinches coarse salt
- 1 (14-ounce) can spicy vegetarian refried beans (vegetarian beans contain no lard)
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar, Monterey jack, or Pepper Jack
- 1 heart romaine lettuce or ½ head of iceberg lettuce, shredded
- 2 small plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 small white skinned onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons (a palm full) chopped cilantro or parsley
- Heat ⅛ to ¼-inch oil over medium high heat.
- Fry tortillas 30 seconds on each side to light golden, 1 tortilla at a time.
- Drain tortillas on brown paper sack.
- Season with a little coarse salt while hot.
- Heat beans in microwave or small pan over moderate heat.
- Spread hot beans on tortillas and top with a handful of shredded smoked cheddar or jack cheese.
- Top cheese with shredded lettuce, diced tomato bits, and chopped onion.
- Garnish tostadas with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley and serve.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.