- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (1½ cups)
- 6 cups vegetarian baked beans (2 x 28 oz cans)
- 6 tofu hot dogs, cut into ½-inch chunks
- 2 tsp mustard
Cornmeal biscuit topping Edit
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1½ tbsp sugar
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼-inch pieces
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- In 4-quart Dutch oven or flameproof casserole, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in beans, tofu dogs, mustard and salt and pepper to taste.
- Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, while you prepare topping.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In medium bowl, mix flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and baking soda.
- Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Make well in dry ingredients.
- Add buttermilk all at once.
- Stir just until mixture is blended and dough pulls together.
- Let dough sit 2 minutes.
- Dust dough with flour and transfer to floured work surface.
- Knead 4 or 5 times, then pat into circle as large as the top of Dutch oven.
- Using sharp knife, cut dough into 2-inch squares.
- Place dough squares over hot beans.
- Bake until topping is lightly golden, about 20 minutes.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.