Ground beef, cheese, and real vegetables mix and cook when served with other dishes. You can make this with real leftover cooked beef and herbs to help maintain its aromatic quality.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup chopped or minced onion, red, white, or yellow only
- 1 8-ounce can tomato sauce
- ½ cup beef broth
- 1 cup grated cheese (Monterey Jack, Colby, Colby-Jack, Cheddar, Swiss, American, Provolone, or Emmental), divided
- 1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 cups cooked rice, white only
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon crushed thyme leaves
- Saute beef and onion in large skillet until beef is no longer pink.
- Mix up with tomato sauce, beef broth, ½ cup cheese, broccoli, rice, worcestershire sauce, and thyme.
- Turn into a buttered shallow 2-quart casserole.
- Bake at 350° F for 25 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Sprinkle with remaining ½ cup cheese and bake 5 minutes longer. Serve hot and plain or with other main dishes but cut into squares from the hot casserole with a kitchen knife.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.