- 3 pounds beef shank cross cuts, cut 1 inch thick
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery with leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups water
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1½ teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- ⅓ cup medium pearl barley
- 1 package (9 ounces) frozen French-cut green beans
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic; cook and stir 5 minutes or until tender.
- Add beef shank cross cuts, water, salt, thyme, pepper and bay leaf; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover tightly and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove cross cuts from Dutch oven.
- Cut beef from bones; cut beef into ¾-inch pieces.
- Skim and discard fat from soup.
- Return beef to Dutch oven; stir in barley.
- Cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes or until beef and barley are tender.
- Add green beans; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer 2 to 3 minutes or until beans are tender.
- Discard bay leaf.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.