- 2 lbs beef short ribs with bones
- 5 cups water
- 1 (14½ ounce) can tomatoes, diced, undrained
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 – 1½ teaspoon salt (optional)
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup celery, sliced
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- ⅔ cup quick-cooking pearl barley
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, minced
- In a soup kettle, combine ribs, water, tomatoes, onion, salt if desired and pepper; bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Reduce heat: cover and simmer for 1½ to 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove ribs; cool.
- Skim fat.
- Remove meat from bones and cut into bite-size pieces; return to broth.
- Add carrots, celery and cabbage; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add barley; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and cook 10 – 15 minutes or until barley and vegetables are tender.
- Add parsley.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.