Many soups and stews begin with the sautéing of celery, onion and carrots. This trio of aromatics is the foundation of French cooking. So don't worry about leftover vegetables when you're preparing this Bourguignon.
- Contributed by Healthy Recipes for Diabetic Friends Y-Group
- Original recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes | Chill Time: 30 minutes | Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- ¾ cup Pinot Noir or dry red wine
- 1 pound lean sirloin steak, cut into chunks
- 3 slices turkey bacon
- ½ medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 (14-ounce) can low-salt beef broth
- 1 (8-ounce) container sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced tomato
- Pour wine over steak and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Cook bacon in a large Dutch oven coated with cooking spray 3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Remove, cool and crumble; set aside.
- Deglaze the pan with 3 tablespoons of red wine from marinade and cook on high heat for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- Add the beef and cook 5 minutes or until browned; remove beef from pot and set aside.
- Add onion, garlic and next 4 ingredients; cover and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add mushrooms, beef, crumbled bacon and diced tomatoes and increase to medium heat; cook 10 more minutes.
- Serve with rice or potatoes, or try this: toast thick-sliced French bread. Cut a raw garlic clove in half and rub the toasted bread with the garlic. Serve the Beef Bourguignon over the bread.
Nutritional information Edit
- calories 239 (27% from fat) | fat 7.2g (sat 2.4g) | protein 29.9g | carb 9.9g | fiber 2.5g | chol 68mg | iron 3.6mg | sodium 604mg
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.